Food should be eaten when you’re hungry, regardless of exercise. You should have enough energy and even surplus energy to undertake a proper exercise session. On the other hand, it can be challenging to go for a run on a full stomach (and you may get a side stitch), so it may be wise to plan a little.
WHAT ABOUT FAT BURNING?
When you eat has nothing to do with fat burning, nor how often you eat (as long as it’s more than once per day), nor how close to your exercise session you eat. Eat when you’re hungry. This also applies to after your exercise session. And always proper food. Don’t go for a protein bar or YT Bar after exercising: eat proper food when you’re hungry.
FIVE SIMPLE TIPS
- Do not do strength training when you’re so hungry that it exceeds your energy levels and affects your state of mind. Then you are not actually performing the exercise.
- It is not harmful to eat a good, proper meal before a strength training session. Proper, wholesome food supplies your body with an abundance of energy.
- Don’t eat a big meal before a cardio session or a run, as this can cause a side stitch and a “heavier” session than normal.
- If you plan to go for a run or do a cardio session in the morning before breakfast but you feel hungry, drink a cup of coffee or an amino acid shake – BCAA (Branched-Chain Amino Acid Supplements) – without sugar before you start. This is wise if you’re the type of person who is hungry early in the morning.
- If you are only able to exercise at a specific time and you plan inadequately and are very hungry (after work, after an appointment, etc.) drink a protein shake (without sugar) or an amino acid shake, eat a piece of fruit, a packet of ham or other light food (a Quest Bar is very practical to keep in your bag for this very reason) before you start.
Linda Opsanger Holmedal: Before and after Improving Lives: These two pictures were taken exactly 1 year apart, but it may as well have been six months, as I looked the same as in the first picture in December and started the “Ready for Summer” programme in January. I love how well this programme works!
Veronica Jacobsen: Once I’ve finished the programme, I intend to continue my membership! I have quite a lot of weight to lose, and I got a proper kick-start! I lost 9.1 kg and 52.3 cm around my bum, stomach and thighs.
I have tried to lose weight many times before but have never seen these kinds of results!
I am very pleased, but I’m still far off from my ideal weight.
I have eaten sweets on Saturdays and cake on my birthday, so I have indulged here and there.
Good luck to everyone, keep at it! It’s a bit embarrassing to publish the “Before” picture, but I’ve at least managed to get it under control!